On this page you will find important information on how to apply to the bachelor's degree programmes International Business and Mechanical and Sustainable Engineering.
The application to International Business and Mechanical and Sustainable Engineering is open 15 December 2021–25 February 2022.
NB! Study places are filled continuously in this application, which means that application may close earlier than the announced closing date of application, if all study places have already been filled.
On these pages you will find everything you need to know about the application process. We suggest you start with Application step by step to get an overview. Please use the quick and subpage links to navigate smoothly between the different sections.
Application step by step
The list below is our application process for International Business and Mechanical and Sustainable Engineering in a nutshell. It gives you an overview of how to apply.
- Check that you are eligible to apply to Arcada’s bachelor’s degree programmes.
- Make sure that you meet our English language requirements, and sign up for a language test in time.
- Decide whether you will apply a) based on the online entrance exam + interview or b) based on the SAT test.
- If you choose SAT as application method: Take the SAT test in time.
- Apply to the bachelor’s degree programme(s) of your choice through studyinfo.fi any time during the application period. NB! As this is a continuous application, it may close earlier than the announced closing date of application, if all study places have already been filled.
- Upload scanned copies of your degree certificates as well as language certificates.
- If you choose entrance exam as application method: Note also that invitation to entrance exams are sent out at set dates.
- Wait for the invitation to the entrance exam and then take the test within the given time frame. Wait for the result or invitation to interview.
- Prepare for a possible online interview by making sure you have an available private space and equipment
- Wait for the result of your application.
- Accept possible study place offer.
Before starting your application process to Arcada, make sure that you are an eligible applicant.
Educational background required
To apply to Arcada you need one of the following (as stated in Polytechnics Act 932/2014):
- Finnish degree
- the Finnish general upper secondary school syllabus and/or the Finnish Matriculation Examination
- a Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification with a score of 120 credit units or 180 credit points, or a comparable previous Finnish vocational qualification with a minimum score of 80 credit units
- a Finnish post-secondary or higher vocational level diploma
- a Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification or a further or specialist vocational qualification as a competence-based qualification, or a comparable previous qualification
- An international degree
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
- European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma
- Reifeprüfung (RP) Diploma
- Other foreign qualification completed outside Finland
- A non-Finnish degree or qualification which gives eligibility for higher education studies in the country in question (e.g. a high school diploma, an upper general certificate of education, a higher secondary school certificate)
- Higher education degree
- A completed higher education (Bachelor or Master level)
Discretionary admission is used in this application. It means that if Arcada deems that you have sufficient skills and knowledge without meeting the formal eligibility criteria, you may still be considered for admission.
Discretionary admission only concerns your eligibility to apply. The admission is conditional until Arcada has checked your educational and other relevant certificates. Arcada may withdraw the offer of admission if you have given false information.
If you wish to apply to Arcada through discretionary admission you you do not need to mark this separately on the application form, but Arcada will assess this on the basis of application and its' supplements. Remember to submit a copy of your study certificate/transcript of records from your high school/upper secondary school.
English language requirements
All applicants are required to prove language skills in English in this application. We recommend that you make sure you have a valid English language certificate prior to actually submitting an application.
Required English language proficiency may be demonstrated in one of the ways listed below.
Accepted language certificates and minimum requirements
- Cambridge ESOL’s tests External link B2 First (First Certificate in English) Cambridge Advanced:
- minimum score 170
- include your Candidate ID and Candidate Secret number when sending your results to Arcada
- valid for two years
- Pearson Test of English External link Academic or Academic online, score 51:
- results are accepted only when sent through the online PTE account
- valid for two years
- IELTS External link or IELTS online; academic level 6.0:
- valid for two years
- TOEFL External link Internet-based or Home Edition test, score 79:
- test result must arrive directly from the Educational Testing Service
- Arcada's TOEFL code 5724
- valid for two years
The language certificate must be valid during the application period.
Arcada strives to accept electronic copies of language certificates submitted directly from the testing organisation. Please request your score report to be submitted to Arcada UAS when you register for the Cambridge, Pearson or TOEFL tests. Also IELTS test takers can request the result to be sent to Arcada directly but as results can be verified online, a paper copy of test result is accepted.
Other ways to prove English language proficiency
- Finnish matriculation examination: grade M in the advanced syllabus test in the English language. If you have completed the Finnish matriculation examination prior to 1990 you must submit a certificate of language proficiency in case your matriculation score does not meet the requirements.
- IB Education: International Baccalaureate Education completed at an IB school.
- An upper secondary level certificate or a bachelor’s or master’s degree completed in English in the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. A minimum 60% of the of the degree must have been completed on location in one of the before mentioned countries.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree completed in English in an EU/EEA country. A minimum 60% of the of the degree must have been completed on location in one of the EU/EEA country.
SAT test or entrance exam + interview
You can only choose one application method in your application as a basis for admission:
A) SAT test score and proof of English language proficiency
B) Online entrance exam + interview and proof of English language proficiency
Admission through SAT test
The SAT is used in admission for the degree programmes in International Business and Mechanical and Sustainable Engineering. The SAT is an international test administered by the College Board. Please read more about the SAT test here. External link
NB! In order to apply to Arcada with an SAT test score, you also need to submit proof of English language skills.
Arcada's SAT requirements
The SAT test required for admission to Arcada consists of:
- reading, writing and language test
- math test
The essay included in the SAT test is not required when applying to Arcada. Subject test is not accepted.
Minimum accepted scores
- Total minimum score: 1100 points
- Reading, writing and language test: Minimum score 500 points
- Math: Minimum score 500 points for International Business; 550 points for Mechanical and Sustainable Engineering
Only the new version of the SAT test (completed after March 2016) is accepted. Please note the test dates and that registration for the test usually is one (1) month in advance! You can find the registration and test dates, as well as dates for sending scores, here. External link
It is recommendable that you have your SAT score already when submitting your application to Arcada.
Sending scores to Arcada
You should order an official SAT score report straight from the test organiser. If you have already completed an SAT test, you must request a score to be delivered to Arcada directly. Read more about how to send the SAT score. External link
Arcada's SAT code is 7151.
Arcada must have your SAT score by 4 March 2022. This means that we do not wait for the March 2022 test.
Practice taking the test
Did you know that you can practice taking the SAT test free of charge? Learn more about that here. External link
Admission through entrance exam + interview
You can select the online entrance exam and interview as the selection method. The exam and interview is open to all applicants, regardless of where in the world you are currently located. The online exam can be taken only once and you must complete the test in one sitting, within a set time frame.
The exam is separate for International Business and Mechanical and Sustainable Engineering. This means that if you are applying to both programmes you will need to take two (2) online tests. The entrance exam may consist of sections that test your math and logical deduction and to Mechanical and Sustainable Engineering also physics and chemistry. No preparation is required as the online entrance exam is not based on any pre-reading material.
Below you can find examples of the type of questions that may be asked in the exam:
FileInternational Business exam example
Mechanical and Sustainable Engineering:
FileEngineering exam example 1
FileEngineering exam example 2
FileEngineering exam example 3
The result of each entrance exam is valid only to the specific programme at Arcada.
Invitations to exam
Eligible applicants applying through the entrance exam selection method will receive an invitation to the exam which contains all necessary information on the exam. The invitations are sent out at specified dates. This means that you may have to wait a short while for an invitation.
If you submit your application:
- between 15 Dec 2021 – 9 Jan 2022 you will be invited to the exam 10 Jan 2022. Invitations sent
- between 10 Jan – 23 Jan 2022 you will be invited to the exam 24 Jan 2022
- between 24 Jan – 13 Feb 2022 you will be invited 14 Feb 2022
- between 14 Feb – 25 Feb 2022 you will be invited 28 Feb 2022
The exam opens at 9 AM EET the day after the invitation is sent, and applicant then has 3 days to take the exam. The exam can be taken only once, and must be completed in one sitting.
Interview/Group discussion through Zoom
An applicant who passes the online entrance exam will be invited to the next step in the process, which is an group interview. The group session is also held online. Detailed information and requirements (setting, equipment etc) will also be given in the invitation that is sent to the applicant. There is no material to read in preparation for the interview/group discussion
Link for the group session:
The group session will be arranged via the Zoom application. Applicants will receive a link to the Zoom meeting through an e-mail after they have completed the entrance exam with the needed score.
As an applicant who has received an invitation, it is your responsibility to make sure that the equipment meets the following criteria. To attend the group session, you need to have
- a computer (desktop computer or laptop, not a mobile device or tablet)
- Recommended browsers: Firefox or Chrome. If the link does not open, please try, and change the browser.
- stable internet access (and stable supply of electricity)
- a web camera
- a headset (recommended), or speakers and microphone
- (mouse, power cable)
- Download External link the Zoom app on your computer. It is recommended that you test the Zoom beforehand. You can also join in a test meeting External link provided by Zoom. You can familiarize yourself with Zoom before the group session by visiting Zoom's website for tutorials External link.
Arcada UAS is not responsible for, or in any legal liability if your equipment and/or connections do not meet the above-described criteria, or if the group interview is interrupted, or if you cannot finish it because of technical issues.
Please note that your identity will be checked during the group interview (see the structure and evaluation criteria of the group interview). Make sure that you have with you your
- national identification card (with a photo)
- a Finnish driving license, or
- a Finnish Kela photocard
You should present the same identification document that you submitted to Studyinfo in the application phase.
Please note that you must be recognized as the same person as in the identification document. Make sure that the video connection is working, and that the lighting is optimal so that you will be clearly visible on the video.
How to attend the interview/group discussion?
You should attend the group session by clicking the Zoom link 5 minutes before the start of the group session. The given time is local Finnish time (EET). After you click the link, please make sure that you
- join the meeting through a browser as a guest
- fill in your name in the following format: given name last name (e.g. Sarah Johnson, or Sarah J.)
You should also make sure that
- your camera, and headset or microphone, and speakers are working,
- you have already read both the instructions above and the ones in the e-mail sent to you, and that you have the needed identification documents next to you,
- you have a quiet environment and optimal lighting for clear sound and good quality video picture; make sure that you attend the group session by yourself in a private and calm environment that allows you to concentrate.
We will check the eligibility only of applicants who have passed the entrance exam and the interview/group discussion. You can only be admitted if you have proven your eligibility and your skills in English by the deadline.
Summary of admission methods
|Degree Programme||Study Places||Selection Methods||Additional Information|
English language certificate
Online entrance exam + interview English language certificate
|Minimum score 1100, and 500 in each section.|
English language certificate/
Online Entrance exam+ interview English language certificate
|Minimum score 1100, minimum score 550 in Math|
How to apply
Here you will find a checklist to guide you through the application process.
Application to Arcada's degree programmes in English is not part of the joint application system in Finland. It is held as a continuous separate application. The application is made through studyinfo.fi External link.
Checklist for applying:
Requirements and documents
Make sure you meet all requirements and have all documents at hand.
Fill in the application form
Go to Studyinfo to fill in the separate application form to Arcada. Fill in the form yourself, using your own contact information.
You can use these direct links to get to the application form (active when application is open):
- Access the application form by clicking on the 'Fill in application' button.
- Answer all questions
The application form will guide you through the process, and alert you to mandatory questions you have left unanswered.
Mark if you apply on the basis of an entrance exam + interview or on the basis of an SAT test + language test.
Mark your education correctly
In the application form, you should mark your education correctly. If you are applying on the basis of several different types of secondary education, you can mark them all.
Do not forget to click "submit" to save your application form. You will receive a confirmation e-mail, please save this e-mail for future reference. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail, please check your spam folder and make sure that your inbox is not full.
Submit your application documents to Arcada
When you are filling out the application form, you can choose to directly upload the documents that you are requested to submit to the application form, or you can do so at a later time. We recommend that you have all your documents ready when you start filling out the form so that you give your information correctly.
If you choose to submit your document at a later date, take note of the deadline so that you do not miss it.
Keep an eye on your e-mail
Arcada Admissions Services will contact you in case there are questions about your application or documents, so please make sure that you check your inbox and spam folder regularly.
Here you can find detailed information on which supporting documents to submit when you apply to Arcada.
Please note that the below list will still be updated for application 2022. Thus check this list again closer to application for final information on what documents to submit.
As Arcada uses a continuous application, you should submit all documents at the time of application. It is also possible to submit documents later, however no later than 4 March 2022.
As the eligibility is checked only for those that pass the online entrance exam and interview or meet our SAT score requirements,the sooner the application is complete, the sooner you can be admitted. If you, despite a reminder, do not complete your application with required documents or submit incomplete documents by the set deadline, you cannot be admitted.
Please see the list at the bottom of this page to find detailed information on which supporting documents to submit.
All educational certificates in languages other than Swedish, Finnish or English must be translated.
All certificates in other languages have to be translated into one of the languages above by an officially certified translator. A copy of the original document (in original language) shall also be submitted. The translation shall bear the stamp and signature of the translator.
Admission is not final until the original certificates have been checked by Arcada.
You will need to submit your original certificates by the start of your studies. Any false information regarding qualifications will make you disqualified for admission.
How to submit documents
When you fill in the application form, you are at the same time requested to upload application documents that are needed for processing your application.
If you wish to upload your documents at a later time, the confirmation of your application contains a link through which you can do that.
List of supporting documents:
If you apply with a qualification completed in Finland, you do not in general need to send in a copy at the time of application.
If you are completing your qualification in Finland, i.e. the Matriculation examination or a vocational degree, the qualification must be completed and a copy of the final certificate submitted in July 2021 (date to be announced), or when you accept your study place.
NB! If you completed your Finnish Matriculation examination prior to 1990 you should submit a copy as soon as possible, however no later than 4 March 2022.
Higher education degrees completed in Finland can be checked in the application register and do not need to be submitted as proof of eligibility.
If you apply with an International Matriculation examination, i.e. the International Baccalaureate External link (IB), European Baccalaureate External link (EB) or Reifeprüfung (RP), copies of the completed diplomas and their official translations should submitted as soon as possible, however no later than 4 March 2022
If you are completing your diploma/degree during the application, in spring/summer 2022, you should send in your Predicted Grades or Equivalent. A copy of the final certificate of applicants who complete an RP or EB diploma during the application period (Transcript of Grades for those completing an IB diploma) must be delivered in July (date to be announced) or when you accept your study place.
If you apply with a qualification obtained outside of Finland, this applies to you.
If you have completed your degree/qualification/diploma you should submit a copy of the final degree certificate, together with an official translation as soon as possible, however no later than 4 March 2022
If you are completing your secondary qualification/degree/diploma during spring/summer 2022, you should submit a certificate/statement issued by the school stating that you are graduating in spring/summer 2022. You should submit a copy with an official translation of the final/temporary certificate when you accept your study place.
If you are applying with an SAT score, you need to order an official SAT score report so that it is at Arcada on hand no later than 4 March 2022.
We strongly recommend that the SAT test is taken as soon as possible.
You are recommended to submit your certificates of English language proficiency (valid during the application period) no later than 4 March 2022
You are recommended to secure a language certificate meeting the requirements prior to submitting an application.
When signing up for a language test, please select the option to send your scores directly to Arcada. In most cases we do not accept paper score reports submitted by the applicant. Instead, they should come directly from the testing center.
Decisions to grant asylum or residence permits issued on the basis of a need for protection of refugees or applicants in a refugee-like situation should be submitted as soon as possible, however no later than 4 March 2022.
In addition to the application documents, you should submit a copy of passport or residence permit document proving exemption from tuition fees:
- Passport ID page or ID card of EU/EEA/Switzerland which states citizenship
- Passport ID page (all other citizenships)
- Residence permit card, both sides; Type A, Type P or type P-EU
- EU Family Member's Residence Card in Finland