Here you will find all information needed for applying to Arcada's master's degree programmes in this years additional application.
Additional application to Media Management and Leadership for Nordic Health Care
The additional application to Arcada opens 28 July 2022 at 9.00 am and closes at 4 August 2022 at 12.00 noon Finnish time. You apply by filling in the application form on www.studyinfo.fi External link
The application is a separate one, and there is no order of preference.
Before starting your master's application process to Arcada, please make sure that you are an eligible applicant, i.e. that you have a suitable bachelor's degree and two years of work experience. There are no specific English language eligibility requirements for application to our master's degree programmes.
- Leadership for Nordic Healthcare; a suitable bachelor's degree, within Nursing, Midwifery, Public Health Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Emergency Care, Physiotherapy, Sports and Physical Education or Social Care.
- Media Management: a suitable bachelor's degree, e.g. within the field of Media and Communications, Arts and Culture Management, Business Management, Media and Information Technology, Art&Design, Advertising, Literature, Culture Studies or Entertainment Law.
Add your degree certificate and transcript of records to your application by 11 August 2022 at 12 noon. If the certificate/diploma and transcript(s) were not issued in English, Finnish or Swedish, you must also provide a translation made by authorized translator.
Two years of work experience
All applicants must, in addition to the educational requirements listed above, have a minimum of two years (24 months) of relevant work experience gained after the completion of the bachelor's degree in order to meet the eligibility criteria, and must be proven with valid work certificates. CVs are not sufficient on their own.
Work experience is only counted from the day the bachelor's degree diploma has been awarded, and needs to be proven by a work certificate. Work experience gained before or during your bachelor studies cannot be counted towards the work experience minimum requirement. An exception is only made for applicants who have completed a Finnish vocational college diploma or higher vocational diploma (opisto- tai ammatillisen korkea-asteen tutkinto) before the completion of their higher education degree, as they may also take into account work experience gained before the higher education degree. Work experience can be counted up to 31st July 2022.
Part-time work is converted to full-time work so that 150 hours or 20 full-time working days (a minimum of seven hours per day) are equal to a month. The work experience does not have to be continuous or from the same employer. Practical training or on-the-job learning is not counted as work experience if it forms a part of the degree used for applying.
You must prove your two years work experience by submitting work certificates by 11 August 2022 12:00 noon.
Timetable of additional application
28 July 2022 Application opens at 9:00 am Finnish time
4 August 2022 Application closes at 12:00 noon Finnish time
11 August 2022, 12 noon, deadline for the following application attachments:
-motivational letter/thesis proposal,
-certificates attachments (higher education certificate/diploma, transcript of records & translations of these)
-document proving exemption from tuition fee and or passport copy
19 August 2022 Results announced at the latest
August/September 2022 Studies begin
Student selection to Media Management
All applicants should submit 1) a written document in the form of a preliminary MA research proposal and 2) a personal video according to the below instructions.
MA Thesis Proposal
Write an essay of no more than 1000 words. Outline your interests in the form of a proposal for your potential master thesis. Reflect on the following questions:
• What are the key competencies and strategic issues in media management?
• Which ones are the most important to you, personally and professionally?
• In what ways are the issues you identified socially and culturally relevant, and to whom
• Which problems would you like to research and help to solve as part of your studies in media management? How?
The essay should clearly communicate your preferences and goals regarding your studies in Media Management. Please use 3–5 academic sources as references. Essays that demonstrate a knowledge of the structure and logic of research proposals will be appreciated, as well as those essays that show a familiarity with the recommended readings.
1. Nylund, Mats (2013) Mapping Challenges in Media Management, Arcada Univ. of Applied Sciences External link, pp. 45–48.
2. Research blog entries from Department of Culture and Media External link
Format for essay: Times New Roman 12pt; 1.5 spacing; Harvard referencing style
Motivational video (to be submitted as a file or a URL in a document)
Produce a motivational video that highlights your professional and educational background in the fields of media and management.
Speak to your individual merits and communicate your personal and professional motivation for pursuing a master's degree. Also reflect on personal goals, and the potential challenges you may face in future studies. The particular form, style and structure of the video is up to you. Please make sure that the audio and the visuals are intelligible.
Videos will be assessed out of a score of 25 points. Points will be awarded based on the following:
• professional history
• educational background
• verbal English skills.
Maximum length: 5 minutes
Attach both the MA thesis proposal essay and the video to your application on studyinfo.fi by 11 August 2022 at 12:00 noon.
Name the attachment file(s) in the following way: Lastname_First name_description/name of document. For example, Smith_Mary_motivational letter.
Make sure that the attachments are legible. Combine the pages of the same document into one file. Check that the documents are all positioned in the same way upright. Recommended file formats are: PDF, JPG, PNG and DOCX.
You can upload the video directly or use video sharing services. If the video is uploaded to a sharing platform (e.g. YouTube), make sure that the video is set to private, not public, and that it can be visible only with the link you share with the admissions office. If you wish to upload the URL of the video instead of the actual video, you need to write the URL on a document and upload that. Please name the document with an appropriate title. The video should be available for viewing throughout the complete application process
Student selection to Leadership for Nordic Healthcare
All applicants must submit a motivational letter and personal video according to the instructions below:
Motivational letter (2–3 pages)
Submit a motivational letter. Write this letter in order for us to understand your thoughts and experiences on leadership in a Nordic context as well as your expectations on this master's program. The length of this letter is about 2–3 pages.
Part 1: Me as a Master student (max 30 points)
• What central working life competences have you already developed?
• Have you already developed some leadership competences? If so, please elaborate
• What leadership competences for future Nordic working life do you want to develop? Please motivate.
• How do you see a master’s degree beneficial for your present or future work?
• What are the main reasons for applying to this master program?
• This master program is an online program. What digital competence do you possess and do you have any digital challenges?
• Master education is also time consuming, how will this program change your use of time?
• If you work, what support can you expect from your employer?
• Do you have previous experience of higher education? If you answer yes, tell us briefly about this.
• Master studies are equivalent with EQF 7 competence requirements set by the Bologna process. Tell us about your earlier study experiences and your academic writing and research skills.
Part 2: Development and research of working life (max 30 points)
• What areas of your profession do you consider important for development work?
• In this master program, 1/3 is about development work, master thesis. What kind of development work would you be interesting in doing? What would it contain?
• How would you do such a development work?
• What research method would you use?
Video (max 40 points)
Record a video of yourself talking about one leadership topic that interests you.
Areas that will be given focus and evaluated:
• Technical skills (important since this is a 100% online course)
• Communication skills (group discussions will be held in this program and we need to communicate in English)
• Interest in the field of Healthcare Leadership
How to submit the motivational letter and video
Attach both the motivation letter and the video to your application on studyinfo.fi by 11 August 2022 at 12:00 noon Finnish time.
Name the attachment file(s) in the following way: Lastname_First name_description/name of document_programme.
For example, Smith_Mary_motivationletter_Leadership.
Make sure that the attachments are legible. Combine the pages of the same document into one file. Check that the documents are all positioned in the same way upright.
Recommended file formats are: PDF, JPG, PNG and DOCX
You can upload the video directly or use video sharing services. In case you are using a sharing service (e.g. YouTube), upload a document containing a link to the video. Please make sure your video is set to private and can be seen only through the link you shared in your application. The video should be available for viewing throughout the complete application process.
Accepting study place offer, tuition fees and early bird discount
When you have been offered a study place at Arcada and have decided to accept it, you have to confirm your acceptance of the study place as instructed in the e-mail. It is also mandatory to register for the academic year.
A student may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland during one academic semester. This rule applies to all higher education (Bachelor's, Master's, Licentiate and Doctoral degrees). Please read more about the one study place per term provision here. External link
The deadline for accepting a study place in the additional application will be 7 days from admission.
You also need to register for the academic year according to the instructions sent to you. Registrations as present or absent is to be done in the same place as the acceptance of the study place offer. You can register as absent for the first academic year only with a valid reason.
If you are a fee paying student, please note that you cannot register for the academic year or receive a study certificate until you have payed the tuition fee.
Please note that the early bird offer on the tuition fee for fee paying student is valid for 7 days. Thus, if the study place is accepted within 7 days, student can make use of the early bird offer. Tuition fee payment by deadline must be proven with receipt sent to the admissions services.