Information to the data subject in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679) articles 13-14
Arcada University of Applied Sciences Ltd
Jan-Magnus Janssonin aukio 1
Business ID: 2553871-2
2. The controller’s representative
Head of Student Services Annika Stadius
Tel. 0294 282 613
E-mail address in the format email@example.com
3. Contact person for the register
Head of Student Affairs Lilian Sjöberg
Tel. 0294 282 671
Further Education Planner Stig Blomqvist
Tel. 0294 282 501
E-mail addresses in the format firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Data protection officer
Data Protection Officer, Legal Counsel Anna Härmä
Tel. 0294 282 888
E-mail address email@example.com
5. Purposes of processing personal data
The data is used for the following purposes:
- For applying and signing up for studies at Arcada
- For student admissions
- For accepting study places
- For statistics and reports
- For other functions necessary in relation to student admissions
6. Legal basis for processing personal data
The processing of personal data is based on Arcada’s role as organizer of higher education. The basis for processing is Arcada’s legal obligation as well as performance of tasks carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority (General Data Protection Regulation, article 6).
Data that belongs to special categories of personal data (according to the General Data Protection Regulation, article 9) are processed in the register. Data about an applicant’s state of health is processed in order for Arcada to be able to assess the applicant’s suitability for degree programmes for which suitability requirements are stated in the legislation as well as well as to assess prerequisites for registrations of absence. Data about the state of health is processed with the applicant’s consent in order for Arcada to be able to accommodate the need for special arrangements in entrance examinations.
7. Categories of personal data and the duration of storage
- The applicant’s name, social security number/date of birth, applicant number (OID), application number (OID), nationality, gender, mother tongue, language of education and necessary contact information. For applicants who do not have a Finnish social security number, also data on place and country of birth, passport number and national ID number
- Preferred option available for application
- The applicant’s education, degree and work experience
- The applicant’s state of health that may have an impact on his or her choice of career
- Other information relating to the application
- Information about admissions results (results from entrance exams and other information relating to the admission, for example admission points)
- Information about accepting the study place and registrations for the academic year
- Information about the new student’s military or civil service, maternity, paternity or parental leave or state of health, if the student has registered him- or herself as absent for the first academic year (time of storage 1 year)
- Information about the student’s state of health, if he or she has applied for individual arrangements in the entrance exam (time of storage 1 year)
- The applicant’s consent or refusal for publishing results on the internet
- The applicant’s consent or refusal for transferring name and contact information to third parties for marketing purposes
- The applicant’s consent or refusal for transferring contact information to Arcada’s library
- Information about tuition fee payments
- Information about how the applicant got information about the degree programme
The data is stored for five years, with stated exceptions above.
8. IT systems used when processing personal data
Studyinfo – electronic application service (applicants to degree programmes)
OILI – electronic service for registrations for the academic year
Arcada’s portal for further education – electronic application (applicants to the Open University of Applied Sciences, specialization courses, courses and programmes based on agreements and privately funded courses and programmes, as well as students from other universities who complete studies at Arcada based on agreements between the universities)
Lyyti – electronic application service (applicants to Arcada Patient Safety and Learning Center’s courses and programmes)
E-Lomake - electronic service for applications, handling of applications, submitting attachments relating to application and admission, accepting study place and registering for the academic year
Mira CRM - communication tool
9. Data sources
The data is received from the applications, sign-ups and attachments to these provided by the applicants, and from the registrations for the academic year and attachments to these provided by the admitted students.
The basis for requesting the data from the applicants or the new students is the necessity to fulfill Arcada’s legal requirements and requirements as an organizer of higher education. If the applicant or the new student does not provide the necessary information, the application or sign-up cannot be processed and the person cannot study at Arcada.
10. Recipients of the personal data
Data from the applicant register is transferred to the student register when the applicant has been admitted to a degree programme and accepted his or her study place or when an applicant has been admitted to a course.
If the applicant has given his or her consent, data from the applicant register can be disclosed to third parties for information and promotion of degree programmes and educational courses.
11. Transfer of personal data outside the EU and the EEA and the basis for the transfer
Personal data is not transferred outside the EU or the EEA without the applicant’s consent.
12. Principles for the protection of personal data
Material in electronic format is stored in IT systems and on computers protected from unauthorized use with security measures including firewalls and passwords. The systems have different user levels, and users are granted access to the data only to the extent the user’s work tasks require.
Material in paper format is stored in locked rooms with limited access and access control.
13. Automated decision-making
Automated decisions and profiling are not made based on personal data within the register.
14. The data subject’s rights
Information about the data subject's rights can be found here.