What you will learn
- Nursing (e.g. internal- and surgical nursing, pediatric nursing and mental health)
- Medicine and natural sciences (e.g. anatomy and physiology).
- The basics in research and development
- Health promotion
- Patient safety
The aim of the degree programme is to educate competent nurses with good knowledge of encountering, supervising and caring for patients with different levels of health issues. The education provides you with competence to act in different caring settings, from open counseling centres to intensive care units. You can choose to work with children, youth, adults or elderly in Finland, the rest of the Nordic countries or even more internationally.
The Degree Programme in Nursing will qualify students as registered nurses with EU competence. The curriculum is based on caring science with multidisciplinary elements from natural sciences (medicine), as well as social and behavioral sciences. The international programme is built on solid in-house expertise from the parallel programme in Swedish, yet it is unique as it embraces diversity and multicultural values in its teaching.
The studies are carried out in close co-operation with working life, e.g. through projects carried out both individually and in groups. Extension studies give you possibilities to specialize in for example advanced clinical care or management and leadership.
The programme is offered jointly with Diaconia University of Applied Sciences (Diak).
A nursing degree prepares you for a job working with people and an almost guaranteed employment in various milieus within health and nursing. The need for health services is continuously growing in our society. Alongside community service, an increasing amount of private health care organisations are established, and add to the need for health care personnel.
After graduation you can work with health promotion or with critically ill patients in hospitals or open care. You can work in municipals or in private organisations, as an employee or by starting your own company. You can work in Finland, provided that you meet the Finnish language skills requirements, and the education’s high international standard qualifies you for work abroad.
– I have a passion for how technology can be implemented in the field of health care and I’m always willing for trying new methods. The facilities we have here at Arcada are simply amazing. In the Arcada Patient Safety and Learning Center APSLC we work a lot with simulation. This means we recreate actual cases and train on dolls in an environment that looks like nothing you’ve seen before. Both reading and doing are part of almost every step of the degree as well as practical training, and for me personally this has been a perfect balance.
– There are many universities and UASs where you can become a nurse, and the most important thing when choosing where to apply is to take a long hard look at their curricula. For me Arcada was without a doubt the best fit. The courses are modern, forward thinking and there is a great balance between theory and practical exercises. You get to try out everything from surgical nursing to working in a psychiatric ward, which gives you a deeper understanding of all aspects of the profession.
Modern technology is used in teaching and theoretical lessons are varied with computer-based self-studies, practical skills training in class, simulations and clinical training in working life. The simulations are carried out in Arcada’s Patient Safety and Learning Center with the support of medical doctors and registered nurses. About 50% of the studies are carried out as practical training in different nursing settings and in open counselling centres.
The learning process advances from basic nursing skills and nursing in different contexts (medical, surgical and psychiatric nursing, nursing of women and children) to extended studies in e.g. rehabilitation, elderly care, mental health or leadership. The degree programme will qualify students as registered nurses with EU competence.
The Department of Healthcare, with closer to 700 students, is characterized by quality and vast experience. We know that transparency and curiosity are key to educating a skilled and competent workforce that makes an actual difference on the labour market.
Within research and development, we are particularly interested in patient safety, health promotion and social participation.