Cost of studies in Finland

It is important that you as a student have sufficient funding for the entire study time. If not, you may have difficulties in completing your studies, and if you are a foreign student may even have to leave the country if your residence permit is not renewed.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students will  be introduced at Finnish higher education intstitutions from autumn 2017 onwards.  Necessary books and study material is paid by the student. The annual membership fee of the Student Union of ca 38 euros entitles to several student discounts.

Cost of living in Finland

The average cost of living in Finland is high and comparable to that of the rest of Europe. The minimum living expenses for a single student amounts to about 700-1000 euros / month depending on cost of accommodation as well as for example health care expenses. As a student you need to make sure that you have got sufficient funding to cover all basic expenses such as food, rent, transportation, study materials, insurance, health care and any other unexpected expenses, which may occur during your time in Finland.

Student financial aid

A Finnish student is granted student financial aid if the studies are considered as full-time studies, i.e. they comprise at least 5 credit units per month. A foreign student must have lived in Finland for at least two years for some other purpose than studies, and be considered a permanent resident in Finland to apply for student financial aid. (See Kela for more information.)


At Arcada, scholarships will be granted only to Bachelor's students starting the second year and can cover a maximum of 50 percent of the tuition fee. Please note, that Arcada does not grant scholarships for the first academic year. A student can be granted a scholarship starting the second year only if he or she has collected a minimum of 55 ECTS during the previous academic year.

Working part-time as a foreign degree student in Finland

As a full-time foreign degree student with a student residence permit you can generally work up to 25 hours a week during the academic year and full time during vacation periods. Please note that it is difficult to find part-time work in Finland. The unemployment rate is high in Finland, and most employers demand knowledge of Finnish and/or Swedish. As a student you should therefore not count on finding part-time work, or other financial assistance in Finland.

Contact us