Congratulations on having been admitted to Arcada, we look forward to seeing you here!

There are a range of practical matters to tend to before you arrive at Arcada and a lot of information that might interest you in advance. Below we have picked out a few topics for you but please also take some time to read more about the services offered at Arcada, information about Finland and living in Helsinki. Welcome!

Visa and residence permit

All the information you might need concerning visas and residence permits, who needs them and how to get them can be found at as well as on the Finnish Immigration Service webpages

N.B. Student residence permits are not granted without sufficient funds beyond the minimum requirement! Please read more about means of support below.

Income requirements

International students who need a student residence permit to enter Finland should please note that you need sufficient funds not only to enter the country, but to support yourself while living here. The Finnish Immigration Services require a minimum sum for entering the country to support yourself for the first year. They also will not grant a student residence permit unless you can prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during the following years. Please read more about income requirements.

Registration in the national population register

Most students staying in Finland for a longer period need to register in the Finnish Data and Population Data Services Agency. Please also read more about the registration and Finnish municipality of residence.

Insurance and health care

In Finland

The need for insurance and the access to health and medical care depends on your nationality and residence status. Private health insurance is mandatory for non-EU/EEA nationalities applying for a student residence permit in Finland. For EU/EEA nationalities, health insurance is not mandatory, but highly recommended as medical costs can be significant. Please read more about insurance and health care for students in Finland.

At Arcada

All students at Arcada are insured against accidents during practical lessons and training. The student is required to have a private accident insurance for all other situations (e.g. theory lessons and travelling to and from Arcada). Helsinki city offers healthcare services at Arcada. As a student at Arcada you are offered services by the school nurse, the MD and psychiatric nurse.  We also offer you the possibility to get help from our study psychologist and our study counsellor and special education teacher, who can help you in your studies. Please read more about insurance and health care at Arcada.


Almost 500 student apartments are found on Arcadas campus. As an Arcada student you are welcome to apply for long-term accommodation on campus. Please note that there is a waiting list for the apartments. Please also check other options for accommodation in Helsinki.

Working during full-time studies

You are allowed to work part-time during your studies, but please take into account that we expect you to attend classes and study full-time if you are in a full-time degree programme.