We have gathered the most frequently asked questions about application and admission on this page. If you cannot find the answer to your question, please contact Arcada's admissions services.
- Arcada uses separate application to it's Bachelor's degree programmes in English and is therefore not a part of the joint application system in Finland. Application is still made through the website studyinfo.fi
- An applicant can apply based on SAT score and language requirements OR based on an entrance exam with language test conducted at Arcada (not applicable to the degree programme in Nursing)
- All applicants must prove their skills in English, either at the time of application or in the entrance exam.
Please read more about application to Arcada's Bachelor's degree programmes.
Arcada has Separate Application 2019 and is therefore not at part of the national Joint Application system. This means that:
1. Arcada has a slightly longer application period
2. You apply directly to Arcada with the application form found at studyinfo.fi.
3. You can only apply to degree programmes offered at Arcada through the separate application. If you wish, you can also fill out applications to other universities through their separate applications, or through the Joint Application system. As it is a separate application, an application to Arcada does not count towards the maximum of 6 study programmes allowed in the Joint Application system. You can however only accept one study place.
To be eligible to apply you need one of the following educations:
A) Finnish Matriculation examination or/and Finnish upper secondary education, EB, IB or Reifeprüfung examination
B) Finnish upper secondary vocational education
C) A non-Finnish degree or qualification which gives eligibility for higher education in the degree awarding country.
Please note, that applicants to Arcada’s degree programme in Nursing must have at least B1 level skills in either Swedish or Finnish to be eligible to apply.
Please read more about eligibility to Arcada's Bachelor's degree programmes.
To apply you need:
A) an education with certificates/diplomas that give you eligibility for higher education
B) a SAT test score + English language requirements OR the possibility to travel to Arcada to take part in an entrance exam with a language test.
You can find detailed information on which documents you need to send in your Bachelor's application here. Please read the information carefully so that you do not miss any documents or deadlines.
Documents can be uploaded as an attachment to the application. If the documents are uploaded there, you do not need to send them by post.
- No, unfortunately we do not accept late applications.
To be eligible to apply to Arcada’s Master’s degree programmes, an applicant must have a suitable Bachelor’s degree in the specific field AND a minimum of three years of suitable work experience gained after the completion of the Bachelor’s degree.
Please read more about eligibility to Arcada's Master's degree programmes.
You can find detailed information on which documents you need to send in your Master's application here. Please read the information carefully so that you do not miss any documents or deadlines.
Documents can be uploaded as an attachment to the application form. If the documents are uploaded there, you do not need to send them by post.
Tuition fees & Scholarships
- The tuition fee for a Bachelor's degree programme (210-240 ECTS credits) at Arcada is 6,000 euros/academic year.
- The tuition fee for a Master’s degree programme is 9 000€ for a full time programme consisting of 60 ECTS (two semesters) and 11 000€ for a full time programme consisting of 90 ECTS (three semesters). In case the student is unable to complete the degree within the given time frame, the student needs to pay 2 000€ per each extra semester until the degree is completed.
Tuition fees apply to applicants from countries outside the European Union/EEA-area, with some exceptions.
Tuition fees apply to applicants from countries outside the European Union/EEA-area, with some exeptions.
Arcada grants scholarships from the second year. The scholarship will cover a maximum of 50% of the yearly tuition fee. Please note that Arcada does not grant scholarships for the first year.
A student can be granted a scholarship starting from the second year only if he or she has completed a minimum of 55 ECTS during the previous academic year.
Arcada does not grant scholarships to Master’s students.
No, unfortunately there are no scholarships for the first year.
Arcada offers an early bird deal, which means that an fee-paying admitted students who bindingly accepts the study place offer at Arcada within 14 days may get a discount of 1000 € on the tuition fee. Restrictions may apply.
Yes you do, if you apply based on a SAT test score. If you apply based on an entrance exam, your language skills will be tested in the exam. You can also choose to submit a language certificate to gain exemption from the language testing conducted as part of the entrance exam. Read more about Arcada's language requirements for Bachelor's degrees in English.
Please note, that applicants to Arcada’s Nursing programme must have at least B1 level skills in Swedish or Finnish to be eligible to apply.
Student selection & entrance exams
That depends. If you apply to our Nursing programme, you must take the entrance exam at Arcada to be considered for admission.
If you apply to our programmes in Materials Processing Technology or International Business you can choose to apply with an entrance exam OR based on a SAT test and language requirements. If you apply with a SAT test, you do not need to take part in any entrance exam.
Please note that Arcada does not arrange entrance exams abroad or in cooperation with other institutions.
No, unfortunately Arcada does not offer this service except for Materials Processing Technology, which does not have pre-reading material.
No, unfortunately that is not possible.
Arcada does not arrange any entrance exams abroad. Entrance exams are held at Arcada only.
Yes. If you are eligible, you will receive an invitation to the entrance exam. More information on how to sign up will be given in the invitation letter sent to you by e-mail.
I read on your website that an applicant can apply for special arrangements in the entrance exam. What does that mean?
Special arrangements can be related to for example the use of applicant's aids in cases of disabilities (wheel chair, use of computer), the use of a personal assistant, or extra time. Requests for the arrangements of entrance exams at other than specified locations will not be considered. The application should state the type of arrangements requested and they should be substantiated with a certificate issued by an expert (for example a medical certificate).
You can apply for special arrangements by filling out a separate form. You can find the form, and more information about special arrangements for entrance exams for Arcada's Bachelor's degrees and for Master's degrees.
The admission results
You will receive the result in spring/summer 2018. Every applicant will receive an e-mail with his/her result. This is a busy time for Admissions Services and we kindly ask that applicants do not send multiple e-mails asking about individual admission results, as all applicants will receive this information as soon as possible. However, please make sure to check your e-mail (and spam-filter) regularly.
First preference applicants might receive their result first.
It might. You will be offered only one study place; the highest preference to which your admission score is sufficient.
Housing, residence & visa applications
Unfortunately, Arcada cannot assist students in obtaining accommodation. However, we have provided a page with information about student accommodation on campus and in Helsinki.